The place and its history
The town of Spoltore is located on one of the last hills that can be traced from the mountains to the sea, running parallel to the rivers Tavo and Pescara. Its historical centre features several medieval traits and still retains the shape and size it had between the second half of the 1400’s and the end of the 1500’s, when the town expanded remarkably.
The name Spoltore has a later-roman-empire origin and today it is commonly believed it stems from the Germanic spelt, as this type of grain was widely grown in the area. The recent archaeological discovery of a Lombard tomb near St Mary’s Church, indeed confirmed the presence of Germanic settlements in the area.